Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rugby


I JOINED A WOMENS RUGBY TEAM!!! The Lady Steelers Baby!
Yup! I did! I know it seems crazy, but I actually love it. I'm love playing team sports. A lady I play volleyball with found out that I ran track at BYU and invited me to come to a rugby practice to see if I like it. She said that they had plenty of big girls and needed more quick girls.
I have never played a contact sport before so that worried me a little. But I decided to give it a try. Now I'm offically on the team! I've been learning the positions and plays of the game, and the part that is crazy is that I'm leaning how to tackle! Since I am a "smaller" girl and could easily get taken out by the bigger poly girls, they teach me techniques that help me take down anyone no matter what size... and I'm getting really good at it too!
I just never realized how much self gratification came from tackling! Yet, I also didn't know how sore you feel the next day! It's a really cool sport for all of you that have never watched a rugby game. It like a combination of soccer and football.. sort of. I will be playing "winger" position which is the very back position of the line up next to the side line. They tell me that this is the "fast running and scoring" position so I'm not a main tackler although I may have to do it ... and people will try to tackling me....I'll just have to sprint and dodge all those girls ha ha.
I'm pretty excited! Practices are really fun, and I have a cool team. We do a lot of conditioning and drills to learn the game. I love being on a team again. So anyone that wants to come to my first game March 14th... is totally welcome to! 11am, at the Steelers field which is off Geneva Rd and Provo Center street.

5 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

julie, that's great! i would be terrified to play against you. :) hehe. i bet you'll do awesome! i am actually coming to utah on march 14 but not until the evening - bummer! i wish i could see you play.

kassi said...

Yeah Julie! You will totally dominate in your game! Take lots of pictures! I want to see you take down those mama's and then sprint away! Sounds so fun! And oddly perfect for you :)

Perry Family said...

hey, what a fun time you'll have! I want to hear all about it! I can just picture you running from your tacklers with a big grin on your face!

Kaerlig said...

Dang girl! That sounds fun. I'll try to check ya out.

Jez said...

Julie, you are kick-ass!!!! (Sorry, but there's just no other way to describe it. lol) I definitely want to see you play sometime! How FUN!