Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"And my soul hungered.."

I crave a glorious sabbath day. When all you do is center your day around worshiping the Lord and enjoy being with family and friends. This summer in Jersey our Sunday's have been a little different, not bad, just different..... Last Sunday I was in Massachusetts with my sister Kassi watching her race in the Falmouth Road Race. Therefore I missed church, which always seems to effect my spirit. And although I don't regret being there with Kassi watching her race, which is what she does best, my week still feels a little empty..... I am craving that burning spirit within... like when I hear a beautiful musical number in sacrament meeting, or listen to the stories of Christ that remind you of what you should be doing in life, and what is most important. I am grateful for the scriptures and for prayer to help fill that void of missing church. Here is a clip that I watched on LDS.org that made me cry thinking of my mom and sisters (in-laws), and how much I love and miss seeing them often.
http://www.youtube.com/mormonmessages
You should check it out!
It's called "The women in our lives". (I only wish I knew how to do one of those cool link things so that you could just watch it right on my blog. ha ha oh well )

3 comments:

Kaerlig said...

I know what you mean Julie. I love Sunday and what it does for me. I'm glad we share that desire.

Coombs Family said...

Ju- SO WEIRD... right before I checked your blog I was on LDS.org and watched that video clip and loved it. I think I loved it so much too, because I too love the women in my life (that includes you, sister!), and I also LOVE President Hinckley!

I wasn't able to go to church myself, today, because I have some major sinus infection so I stayed home. I hopped onto the church website to read some words from our beloved prophets and apostles so I could feel the spirit of the sabbath, and saw the video link on the front page... what a good little clip, huh!

I understand about the spiritual cravings during the summer. That aspect is always a big discussion of mine and Alex's when deciding to go out again a following summer to do summer sales. It's hard out there, cuz you're only in the ward for a couple of months (no callings, no visiting teaching), and you just crave to feel at home!

Alex and I really have to discipline ourselves while out there too, cuz a sunday can get filled up with so much stuff since it's the only day to really spend time together. It's hard, but I always feel so good when we keep the sabbath day holy, even if "everyone else" is off doing fun things. To set aside that one day, I feel the spirit in my life so much more abundantly.

Another aspect of summer sales that is hard on the spirit is temple attendance. First of all, we're spoiled here in Utah with temples that are SO CLOSE! It's hard to get to the temple in the summer when you and your husband can never go together, and coordinating to have a car is quite the challenge. If you can go while out there, do! If a temple isn't super close, sometimes the wards take trips- go on one, they are great! Any temple that I've been able to go to while out during the summer has always provided such a special experience!

Since we just got back from the summer, Alex and I are planning to go this next week to the temple and I am so excited. Since we haven't been for so long, I decided to read about temple worship when I was on the church website today. I read the talk Elder Scott gave at this last general conference on temple worship. Even if you guys can't go until you get back, I recommend you read this talk together, especially since you guys just went through the temple together not too long ago. Make temple going a priority in your marriage. Each time Alex and I go together, we are taken to a new level in our marriage, and spiritually we are much stronger. We definitely have not been regularly going throughout all our marriage, but we recognize the importance, and it is a new goal of ours.

Anyway, I'm sorry I've just blabbed and blabbed. I just know exactly how you feel, and I feel just as strongly about desiring for that "burning in your bossom." The summers (and even sometimes the influences around you in the summer) can really put a toll on your spiritual life. You obviously recognize it, and that's because you do have such a tender spirit, Ju. You are such a good person, and I am so grateful to have you as a friend.

I love you so much, and can't wait until you're back! I was doing Al's nails and toes the other day, and we were talking about how fun it will be when you get back! We need a lunch date, k? Let's plan one! Love ya girly! And happy sabbath!:)

Coombs Family said...

I feel like such a dork... look how long that last post was!!!